Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Valverde: Mercenary-Free Squad Means Top Four Place For Espa

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 150
الموقع : https://dreamsisland.yoo7.com
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Valverde: Mercenary-Free Squad Means Top Four Place For Espa Empty
PostSubject: Valverde: Mercenary-Free Squad Means Top Four Place For Espa   Valverde: Mercenary-Free Squad Means Top Four Place For Espa Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Valverde: Mercenary-Free Squad Means Top Four Place For Espanyol

Ernesto Valverde has looked back on a successful 2007, hoping for more of the same next year...

Valverde: Mercenary-Free Squad Means Top Four Place For Espa 25255_news

Espanyol finish the 2007 component of the current season in fine fettle, with 33 points - just one off second place side Barcelona - in the bag, and a host of scalps in their wake.

"If we talk only about footballing matters, I can only say that this has been a fantastic year," said Valverde of 2007.

"The team's always looked good and the results, in general, have been great as well.

"We've always played attractive football and I think that the fans appreciate it."

By being in the top four, Espanyol are in the Champions League places, although the manager is keen to point out that there is still a long way to go.

"If we finish third, and took a place in next year's competition, it's because we deserve it," he continued.

"It's like everything - some teams are better and some are worse. But nobody's given us anything and we've earned these 33 by ourselves.

"People say it's down to Sevilla and Valencia slipping up? No way. In fact, that only enhances the merits of the team. It shows that we're doing well and establishing regularity, which is very tough in football today."

While the coach wouldn't commit to an end of season target of Champions League football, he did admit that it would be a fine end to the season.

"I must be honest and say that I do dream if the Champions League, but the important thing is to continue down this path, as it's brought us a long way," he urged.

Some of Espanyol's current drive to succeed may result from the fact that the manager and much of the squad are eager to avenge their 2007 UEFA Cup Final defeat.

"I don't know when we'll be able to overcome that loss," he admitted, "but what I can say is that I will never forget the unique experience that we had in Glasgow.

"It created a very special bond between the players, the club, and it also created - above all - passion. The fans were wonderful and showed us a lot.

"It's true that we lost the final, but the club strengthened its image. The squad did too. It just convinced us that we were growing."

Goal.com
Back to top Go down
https://dreamsisland.yoo7.com

Valverde: Mercenary-Free Squad Means Top Four Place For Espa
Page 1 of 1